Since 1964, with sponsorship from the Texas Department of Transportation, the Federal Highway Administration and a host of other agencies, researchers at the Texas A&M Transportation Institute’s (TTI) Proving Ground have literally broken ground thousands of times to install and test cutting-edge transportation safety and security devices.
From the first life-saving crash cushion, innovative breakaway sign post and highway barriers, to bollards, gates and walls, TTI researchers began and still foster a legacy of advancement and innovation in roadside safety and physical perimeter security.
Researchers in the Roadside Safety and Physical Security Division partner with federal and state agencies, other universities and research institutes, foreign countries, and industry on research and development projects.
- Hong Kong
- Saudi Arabia
- United Kingdom
Roadside Safety Research Pooled Fund Sponsors:
Central/Western Field Test & Evaluation Center (roadway friction measurement) Sponsors:
- Federal Highway Administration
- Fugro Consultants
- International Cybernetics Corp.
- New Mexico
- Standards Testing Lab
- U.S. Department of Transportation
- Uniform Tire & Quality Grading
Awards and Recognitions
- Roadside Safety and Physical Security Division employees honored by The Texas A&M University System Office of Technology Commercialization (OTC) for three patent awards in 2009
- Bligh, Little Join Elite A&M System Group
- Six employees from the Roadside Safety and Physical Security Division receive an Innovation Award from The Texas A&M University System Office of Technology Commercialization
- Bligh Team Wins Award at Transportation Research Board meetings
- HEART Crash Cushion wins award